Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pazhassi Raja: A movie as heroic as its hero


After a long gap I saw a movie in the theatre, which happens to be Pazhassi Raja. A visual treat indeed, the movie has a lot of interesting shots and has succeeded in capturing the beauty of Coorg. I dont have to mention the sound effects when they come from the winner of Oscar itself. But thinking back now on the movie, I can remember only a lot of battles and bloodshed. I knew I couldnt expect dancing-around-the-tree kind of romance in a historical movie like Pazhassi Raja. Still, the blood was shed quite a lot.

As for acting all of them were just great. I dont know who did better, Mammotty or Sarath Kumar. Both were wonderful, though my favorite in the movie is Sarath Kumar. I have a new-found respect for him now. I mean this must be his greatest performance in his whole career graph. Mammootty of course repeats his forte from Oru Vadakkan Veeragatha. In fact there is even a shot that reminds me of the old movie. When it comes to Padmapriya I totally agree with the director's choice of casting...she did total justice to the role. The rest of the star cast was also good, though the movie would've continued without a break even without Kaniha, who acted as Mammootty's wife. Maybe the director thought the audience needed a break from warfare and politics, which is why he added a song and some romance.

On the whole a memorable movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment